[opendtv] Re: Mobile use

  • From: Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:30:47 +0000

Yes thank you! I am interested to know how well consumer app technology
penetrated this application or news gathering crews prefer some other more
professional technology. I am sure bonded cellular with combination of more
professional camera gives a much better picture quality.

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com

From: <opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> on
behalf of "dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>"
<dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 9:39 PM
To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [opendtv] Mobile use

Hi Mike:

In what context is your question?

Local news broadcasters usually use STLs (microwave links) that are mounted to
a mast on van that shoot towards a central receive antenna, often at the
station or at the transmitting tower site. Those sent to the transmit tower
are backhauled to the station through a data line, if available, or another STL.

There are newer technologies that bond a cameras data stream over several
Cellular carrier links and have a receive server back at headquarters (see
teradek.com/<http://teradek.com/>). Also, there are some cameras with the
streaming built-in and are able to use WiFi or bonded cellular networks (see
JVC or Sony's websites). Reliability is challenging.

For audio, there are internet solutions such as Comrex ACCESS.

We have used Skype for election coverage at party headquarters with success.
And there are new Skype products (search on Skype TX and Newtek TalkShow) for
on-air use.

But yes, even mobile devices can be used. One local affiliate here in Las
Vegas gives every employee an iPhone and the ability to upload video to one of
their internal servers for editing an posting. Social media sites are often
used for instantaneous posts of breaking news.

Or, perhaps you mean hauling video from a local affiliate to a central
headquarters? Services such as BitCentral are commonly used.

Some college sports conferences are compressing and combining multiple cameras
and sending them over a high-speed data link or dedicated fiber back to the
conference's headquarters for live production. Search the Sports Video Group
website for multiple examples (sportsvideo.org<http://sportsvideo.org>).

Are these related to your question?

Dan

From: Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 23:34:59 +0000

I have a question to this community. What technology is used by broadcasters
when they need some local content real fast? Do they use consumer products such
as mobile phones/tablets and consumer apps or some other technology?

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com