[opendtv] Re: Mobile use

  • From: Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:02:10 +0000

I noticed Skype being used almost on any newscast when they interview hard to
reach individual. Is Skype is dominating consumer app in this regard? Do
broadcasters simply grab PC screen when they broadcast Skype images or they use
more professional gear?

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com

On Sep 7, 2015, at 12:16 PM, "cooleman@xxxxxx<mailto:cooleman@xxxxxx>"
<cooleman@xxxxxx<mailto:cooleman@xxxxxx>> wrote:

Yup, but skype seems to have pushed aside dual 128 Kbit/s Inmarsat, till
recently the standard for far flung correspondents and reporters. BGAN is
offering better bandwidth, so may carry Skype?

Rob mentions a video version of this audio app, heavilly promoted at Picnic
years ago that turned an iPhone into a professional audio reportingtool, though
i thought the result was far inferior to 30+ year old ISDN. Rob, might be able
to remind us of that app's name. Every-one was raving about it, and the
repoorter everywhere revolution.

Quoting Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

Yes thank you! I am interested to know how well consumer app
technology penetrated this application or news gathering crews
prefer some other more professional technology. I am sure bonded
cellular with combination of more professional camera gives a much
better picture quality.

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com<http://keydigital.com/>

From:
<opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
on behalf of
"dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx><mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>"
<dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx<mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx><mailto:dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 9:39 PM
To:
"opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx><mailto:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [opendtv] Mobile use

Hi Mike:

In what context is your question?

Local news broadcasters usually use STLs (microwave links) that are
mounted to a mast on van that shoot towards a central receive
antenna, often at the station or at the transmitting tower site.
Those sent to the transmit tower are backhauled to the station
through a data line, if available, or another STL.

There are newer technologies that bond a cameras data stream over
several Cellular carrier links and have a receive server back at
headquarters (see teradek.com/<http://teradek.com/><http://teradek.com/>).
Also, there
are some cameras with the streaming built-in and are able to use
WiFi or bonded cellular networks (see JVC or Sony's websites).
Reliability is challenging.

For audio, there are internet solutions such as Comrex ACCESS.

We have used Skype for election coverage at party headquarters with
success. And there are new Skype products (search on Skype TX and
Newtek TalkShow) for on-air use.

But yes, even mobile devices can be used. One local affiliate here
in Las Vegas gives every employee an iPhone and the ability to
upload video to one of their internal servers for editing an
posting. Social media sites are often used for instantaneous posts
of breaking news.

Or, perhaps you mean hauling video from a local affiliate to a
central headquarters? Services such as BitCentral are commonly used.

Some college sports conferences are compressing and combining
multiple cameras and sending them over a high-speed data link or
dedicated fiber back to the conference's headquarters for live
production. Search the Sports Video Group website for multiple
examples
(sportsvideo.org<http://sportsvideo.org><http://sportsvideo.org<http://sportsvideo.org/>>).

Are these related to your question?

Dan

From: Mike Tsinberg
<Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx><mailto:Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 23:34:59 +0000

I have a question to this community. What technology is used by
broadcasters when they need some local content real fast? Do they
use consumer products such as mobile phones/tablets and consumer
apps or some other technology?