[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:49:34 -0400

Richard: "Technically respecting the "broadcast flag" is illegal."
Kon: "They actually have no choice in the matter ..."

WTF?

The regulation which would have required compliance with the BF was tossed
on appeal.  There is no regulation which /prohibits/ respecting it.

Of course MSFT had a choice.  That's crazy talk.  Even if political
considerations encouraged them to follow the BF requirements, what the MSFT
product did does //NOT// comply with the BF requirements.  (If it was even
triggered by BF presence or not).  The BF rules are, essentially:
if(flag_present) {restrict_outputs(Table_A_ONLY);} else
{restrict_outputs(ANY_ALLOWED);}  There is //NO// prohibition on recording.
It's not Copy Once.  It's not Copy Never.  It's Copy Freely.  DTCP has a
state for it, "ECN" (Encrypt, Copy Protection Not Asserted).

[[ I am completely unaware of any technical analysis which determines
precisely how the various bits were set to cause this behavior.  It's not
just BF, I believe. ]]