[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 18:29:02 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Isn't it as simple as Microsoft should allowing the initial
> recording with the flag bit on but not allow it to be distributed?

There shouldn't be any reason to assume that the redistribution control
descriptor means "allow only copy once." Although I suppose that as
things are now, CE manufacturers can assume that too, if they so please.

I really think that Congress or the courts need to go back to the
Betamax decision, then clamp down on CE manufacturers who take it upon
themselves to mess with our rights. Or at least, those confused lawyers
who overturned the FCC ruling of 2003 should revisit that decision and
keep at least (1) the allowed copying and (2) the very deliberate
"analog hole" also in that ruling, to remain law of the land.