[opendtv] Re: Microsoft's Masters: Whose Rules Does Your Media Center Play By?

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 18:03:05 -0400

We don't know whether it was the BF that caused the recording problem, though
it's certainly true that news reports have concluded such.  If it was the BF,
and if what John has said about certain PSIP generators, then why haven't we
seen this before?

In any case, I do not believe it matters whether it was the BF, some CGMS-A, or
other settings which caused this (incorrect) behavior.

There is no law, regulation or otherwise which requires or obligates MSFT to
obey "do not record" commands in over-the-air broadcast content.  Indeed, there
are significant pressures on broadcasters to not even attempt any such control.
 There may even be law or regulation prohibiting (one of the tradeoffs for
using 'our' public property to convey the commercial service).

Furthermore, there is no 1201 violation in stripping whatever caused this
behavior, as it is in no sense an '/effective/ technological protection'.  Nor
is CGMS-A information Copyright Management Information viz 17 USC 1202(c), as
any 'do not copy' information is null due to the public right to record (at
least analog, at least for time shifting) see Sony v. Universal.

Finally, the Broadcast Flag was -->>> NEVER INTENDED TO PREVENT RECORDING
<<<<----.  Please don’t dispute me here, as to do so, you must have been in the
room.  What MSFT products do is either a bug or an intentional behavior, but in
no case is it a reasonable interpretation of the Broadcast Flag.

Adam