[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling - a simple comparison

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:25:14 -0400

Doug -

Okay, here's one from Leno.  I had to wait to record it last
night.  As before the left half of the image is the original and
the right half is filtered to an effective 1/4 resolution of only
960x544, though no actual resizing was done.

As you suggested, a discerning viewer can probably tell the
difference a bit more easily here.  I'll let everyone else decide
whether it looks like it justifies 4 times as many pixels, though
of course not 4x the bandwidth.

See:  www.trbarry.com/Leno_1080p_compare_qtr_rez.jpg

And for Internet Explorer users, be sure to remember to zoom it to
full size before comparing since your browser may otherwise just
auto-fit it to your screen.

- Tom