[opendtv] Re: Math of oversampling - a simple comparison

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:28:17 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:
> Doug McDonald wrote:
>
> The tests couldn't be done fairly if it was interlaced 1080i from
> video cameras since I'd have to deinterlace it and be accused of
> losing some detail that way.  Isn't Leno video source?

Yes, and that's the point. It looks simply great. If you
convert it to STDV, it will look awful. Interlace is immaterial ...
it can only hurt. Pick a scene where the camera is static
and the talking heads not moving.

> And I don't think anybody would be very impressed if I showed a
> 544p image could look close to a 720p image.  They are just too
> close anyway.

That's where you are wrong, with the first rate 720p. Try some
ABC sitcoms ... at 720p you will easily read the notes stuck
to teh refrigerator ... at less than that you won't.

> But if you can suggest a 1080p (or telecined 1080i)

What we don't want is telecined ... for some reason that
does not look as good.

Doug McDonald

  OTA or cable