[opendtv] Re: Mag-lev

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 13:48:03 -0500

Very fast. Though I don't know how to calculate it since the acceleration due to gravity would decrease toward the center.

Another thing I can't really calculate is what path you would fall. It wouldn't be a straight line, at least if you were not drilling a hole down the axis of rotation since the planet spins. But if the Earth were hollow and you fell (down) off the surface your trajectory would describe the actual hole you would want to dig to get to the other side. I don't even know if it would pass through the center, due to the planet spin. But maybe Earth doesn't spin fast enough to make much difference here.

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
How is this. Free fall is the absence of any resistance or counter
force to a body's obeying the laws of gravity.

What speed would be reached as you pass the center? Anyone know? I don't

Bob Miller

On 11/1/06, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it would be effectively free fall everywhere falling thru the
center.  At least it should feel like it, the same at both ends and the
center.  For that matter it should feel like free fall even if you were
just floating motionless at the center.  In all cases there is no
relative acceleration pushing one part of your body into another
(ignoring human size tidal stress).  But maybe I misunderstand the
definition of "free fall".

- Tom

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx