[opendtv] Re: Mag-lev

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:28:07 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> You already have a trajectory when you step in the hole. Your
> path would be a straight line since by definition, for
> purposes of this argument, you are in free fall and nothing
> will attenuate your path.

I think Tom is right.

Let's say you start at a pole, and you are going straight through the
core to the other pole. Then yes, your path will be a straight shot
through the sphere.

Now let's still aim for the opposite side, through the core, but let's
start at the equator.

Now you are travelling down, perpendicular to the surface, and you're
starting at a speed of 24,000 miles per day, more or less, along the
horizontal axis, west to east. Your body will want to continue traveling
at that linear speed perpendicular to your "fall."

But the earth all around you is going to be slowing way down as you go
deeper and deeper, in this west to east motion, then speed up again on
the other side of the core.

If you assume the earth is hollow, I think the path would look like a
helix.

As to "free fall," I think what a person would witness throughout the
trip through the core would be weightlessness. But not on other trips,
which don't go through the middle.