[opendtv] Re: Mag-lev

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:12:37 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

There's a mag-lev "proposal" floating around california political circles for
(take your pick) SD->LA->Riverside->Las Vegas.  It's running against several
other proposals that affect certain portions of the idealized trackbed.

IIRC, it's somewhere around $1 billion a mile, or about 10x the per-mile cost
of a NEW 16 lane freeway.

There are many sticking issues, not the least of which is the lack of
horizontal space (even for current rail needs) in the Camp Pendleton->Mission
Viejo portion, let alone the right of way needed for mag-lev and rail.

The major proponent is a local san diego real estate investor who bought the
rights from the proponent who appeared at transit board hearings that I covered
more than two decades ago.  It has about a zero chance of getting government
funding.

Whatever advantage Mag-lev has in speed, it loses with the significant
costs/electrical surge each time a train starts up and stops at a station.
I've heard flywheels as a work-around, but that just adds other weight/safety
issues.

Wasn't there a fatal crash of a mag-lev in the last few weeks.  Something about
two trains on the same track.  As complicated as things get, it's suprising how
often issues arise that were "solved" more than 100 years ago.

John Willkie, a grandson of an Illinois Central railroad engineer with the same
name.