[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:22:06 -0800

"We do a lot of dancing around about 1920 x 1080 when it's becoming less
and less likely (with smaller and smaller imagers) that there will be any
significant energy at the high end of that."--Mark Schubin

So is there any benefit to produce in 1080?

Our new facility will probably be 1080@30i.  Not because I chose it but
because I want to be compatible with out PBS station for many reasons (they
do our master control for us).  But it also seems like a lot of equipment
now days will allow one to produce in any format one wants when they want.
True?

But regarding the lens, I have seen demonstrations of 1080 and 720 with the
same lenses (leica primes and angineau zoom) and found 1080 to look better.
I realize that this is with some of the best lenses and top quality
cameras.  I can understand how there is no way to get the resolution
necessary from a lens that shrinks the image down to those tiny imagers.
So in reality, if one is using industrial grade HD equipment, I take it to
be a case of "why bother"?

But then, I have often seen cases where oversampling helps, even when the
apparent high frequency energy is supposedly not there.  I have seen it in
audio, and certainly in photography.  Is there no correlation?

Dan