[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:09:24 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Does the Canon actually have a sensor that is 24X36 mm?
> I have seen other so called "Full size" sensors in the
> recent past that are not really full size. They are some
> amount smaller than 24X36mm.

If you go to the Canon site, this is what they claim for
the new EOS 5D:

"The same size as a 35mm image on a traditional camera, the
sensor operates without a conversion factor."

Also, the aspect ratio is the same as 35mm film still
frames (1.5:1, assuming square pixels).

So, must be close enough, even though they don't give the
precise dimensions in the brief writeup on the web site.

The "conversion factor" they mention is for lens focal
length. The wide angle, normal, and telephoto effect is the
same as you'd see in a 35mm camera.