[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:11:16 +0100

> Craig wrote:
> Dr. Bill Glenn, at Florida  Atlantic University built an HDTV camera
> that did some of this. It could capture extra detail in the static
> areas of the image, and less detail in the moving areas of the image.
> But it did not work because of eye tracking, which allows us to focus
> on a portion of the image to acquire high resolution detail. In the
> real world the stimulus is always consistent across the field of
> view. Our visual system decides over what portion of that field to
> acquire a high resolution image.

I was thinking of a much more stupid system where the field of view
would be divided in a matrix of smaller views amenable to the reduced
high resolution FOV of the simplified camera, and each element of the
bigger picture would be scanned in a predictible sequence by the
actuators. The processing to stich the views together would be nowhere
as complicated as what the brain does.

One full scanning would have to occur in 1/60 th of a second.
Hopefully, that would be enough to keep some coherency between the
elementary views in the face of motion. I don't see any easy way to
freeze the picture in one piece like a shutter does, in order to scan it
at leisure afterwards.

That certainly would be a limitation. I also appreciate the argument
about the absence of zoom in the human eye (wouldn't that be
convenient). perhaps the constraints on such sophisticated optics could
be relaxed if, again, we only ask it to perform well for a very narrow
angle around the centre of the lens.