[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:20:10 +0100

Mark shubin wrote :

> This is not a 1080i vs. 720p issue.  This is a 69 line pairs per
> millimeter (1920 pixels per line on an old 1-inch-format HD camera)
> vs.
> 184 lp/mm (the same 1920 on a 1/3-inch-format HD camera).  A 12:1
> lens
> for the former cost $112k; a 10:1 lens for the latter, which requires
> roughly three times the resolving power of the former, is included in
>

>The glass in the 1-inch-format lenses was cooled over the course of
>months to reduce microfractures that could reduce MTF.  That helped
>justify their extraordinary cost.  Complete 1/3-inch HD camcorders are
>cheap.  Yet they have lenses with three times the resolution of the
>1-inch format???  I don't THINK so.

Considering a human eye which is just a 2.5 cm diameter device, using a
high resolution sensitive region of only 1.5 mm, simple tiny optics
largely made out of water and jelly ,coupled with motor control and
processing ressources from just a fraction of the total brain volume,
manages to do better than high definition, we must clearly be doing
something wrong...