[opendtv] Re: "Tuner Mandate" Report and Order FCC 05-190

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:08:49 -0500

At 10:52 AM -0500 11/10/05, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  Looks like the days of NTSC tuners in every box are numbered.
>
>Indeed! Possibly, by 2009 or not too long thereafter, the NTSC
>tuner will suffer the same fate as the floppy disk drive. Its
>function being completely replaced by the combined ATSC/cable
>receiver.
>
>That was the whole idea all along.

You've got to be kidding. You think they will take the NTSC tuner out
while there are still millions of VCR and other devices that can
produce NTSC signals out there?

But you missed the point anyway. I am talking about the devices that
are being sold today and for the next few years where they will pull
oput the NTSC tuner so they do not need to include an ATSC tuner.

>And the STB requirement of cable systems, to provide for
>conditional access primarily, will become a footnote in
>history. The good old days, when analog interfaces made it so
>difficult to implement a standard CA scheme.
>
>And the tunerless monitor will be as much in demand as the
>tunerless Sony Profeel monitor was, in the early or mid 1980s.
>
>And your "NTSC franchise" will be replaced by the "ATSC
>franchise."
>
>Bert

Dream on.