[opendtv] Re: "Tuner Mandate" Report and Order FCC 05-190

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:54:47 -0500

>So in short, the FCC is doing here, nationwide, what the
>mabb did in Berlin/Brandenburg, and what I predict other
>countries or smaller jurisdictions will also have to do,
>to end the transition.

Yes. They are forcing a transition away from OTA broadcasting.

In short, if a device has an NTSC tuner it must have and ATSC tuner, et al.

Looks like the days of NTSC tuners in every box are numbered.

LCD panel displays, not big screen HDTV displays are the replacement
for the cheap NTSC/cable ready receivers we have been buying for the
past few decades. And almost all of them are being sold as monitors...

Dual use monitors that can be used for both lean forward and lean
back applications.