[opendtv] I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:25:15 -0500

I don't feel as sorry. As far as I'm concerned, a manufacturer of a product has
the right to null the warranty if users mess around with internals that are not
meant to be user-accessed. But that's as far as it should go. In general, if I
buy a box, I should be able to do with it whatever I want. Short of endangering
others or interfering with communications.

Apple is behaving ever more like the Ma Bell of the old days.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/other/4205008/I-m-starting-to-feel-sorry-for--and-worry-about--Apple-and-not-because-of-their-iPhone-RF-problem

I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple--and not because of
their iPhone RF problem
Bill Schweber
7/28/2010 12:17 PM EDT

Let me get this out of the way: I am not a rabid Apple fan nor detractor, and I
don't own any of their products, for no particular reason. And I do admire much
of the good work they have done, both in design and in creating new markets.

But I am starting to feel sorry for them, and even worry a little. No, it's not
because of the iPhone dropped-call/RF/antenna issue. Instead, it's this: as
Apple has morphed from a "computer" company into a connectivity and wireless
company, by necessity they've gotten involved with so many more regulatory
agencies in the US and worldwide. This involvement goes far beyond basic
EMI/RFI, safety, and frequency-allocation assignment.

For me, it is factors such as the latest "jailbreaking" ruling, see here, for
example. I know Apple likes to run a tight ship in terms of what they allow,
opening up their system, and related factors. To me, that's a strategic choice
they make. As a potential customer, you know about those factors before you buy
into their world, and if you don't like it, you don't have to buy the product.
(Whether it's a good idea or not to be so tight and controlling is a good
subject for a lively debate, but not relevant to my concerns.)

In addition, Apple now has to deal with the equivalent of the FCC is all the
countries it intends to serve, and this goes far beyond basic channel
assignment and spectrum usage; it goes it what services are offered at what
levels, to whom, and how, the terms and conditions of service, and more.

So now Apple has all these "friends" who will help define their product, its
functions, and its marketing Many of these friends are unaccountable
bureaucrats who are absolutely convinced that they know what's best. Sometimes
they do, and sometime they don't, but we'll never know, that's for sure.

I do know that the ability to take chances, and even fail, has been one of the
key attributes of the IC and larger electronic industry. Along with this
ability has been the flexibility of vendors to balance and trade-off among
their product's many technical and non-technical parameters: features, costs,
product extensions, upgrades, partners, and add-ons, to cite just a few.
Sometimes companies lose out, sometimes even their customers lose out (hey,
Microsoft just dropped their "Kin" line of phones, after a mere 48 days on the
market!). So it goes.

But when "well intentioned" bureaucrats and agencies, who answer to no one,
start helping you with your product, this sort of risk-taking becomes secondary
to keeping them happy, and trying to be almost everything to everyone.
Certainly some market segments have lived with this situation already: medical
instrumentation, for example, is tightly regulated. But even for medical
equipment, it's been mostly about safety and effectiveness, rather than what
features to add in, or what access you have to allow the user.

[An aside: this scenario of legislating what you must offer, and to whom, is
being played out in Massachusetts on a smaller scale, via the so-called "Right
to Repair" bill now in the state legislature. It would require that auto
companies make their proprietary repair codes and instrumentation available to
independent repair shops, for a fee. The auto companies say they want to
restrict it to their dealers who have (in theory) had special training and a
long-term commitment; independent shops say it is merely a ploy to cut them out
of the repair business. Both sides of this case have good points.]

That's why I worry about the brave new world that our industry is both driving
and dependent on, exemplified by Apple's situation: you get a lot of baggage
and barnacles coming along for the ride, and they can not only slow you down,
but they may radically change your way of thinking and innovating.