[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:11:42 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If you don't like what Apple if offering buy something else. This
> has worked just fine for Microsoft for several decades, although the
> near monopoly draw of Windows seems to be losing steam.

You are missing the whole dynamic of what happened. IBM designed the PC to be
an open platform. Hardware and software. Apple did not do this with the Mac.
That's why the PC, with DOS and then Windows OSs, got the lion's share of
business sales.

Apple is doin what they always did, and threatening legal action for those who
want to jail-break their own property, for heaven's sake. It's hardly the same
thing as just telling them the warranty is invalidated.

> You are not being very consistent here Bert. You want to deregulate
> TV broadcasting, but seem fine with the highly regulated world of the
> telecoms...

How am I fine with the world of regulated telecoms? Perhaps what you're
thinking is that I'm fine with heavy regulation of industries that must operate
as monopolies? Yes, I am, of course.