[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:48:30 -0400

Usually the best business strategy is not only securing patent protection
for a mass manufactured product, but then licensing the technology to
others.  This increases the number of products that can be manufactured and
creates a royalty base greater than your profit on the number of products
your own company can manufacture.  This strategy shifts much of the business
risk to your competitors and away from your own company.  Same principal as
diversifying a stock portfolio.  Your competitors' advantages such as lower
labor costs or more favorable taxation work to your advantage by incresing
royalty base.   Also, the more rapid development of your technology tends to
make competing technology less likely to capture a large a percentage of the
complete market for such products.  Apple did not license others to use
their technology and stunted growth.

Apple probably would have done better following the RCA strategy concerning
color television.  After a government consent decree that took away RCA's
100 best patents around 1958 or so, RCA's patent licensing program rapidly
re-established the company's strong financial position.  It is a pity RCA
did not capitalize on its No. 2 position in the computer industry as well.
IBM patent attorneys viewed that as a colossal business mistake.  Robert
Sarnoff was not the businessman his father was.

Al