[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about, Apple

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:14:35 -0700

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The success of PCs did cause Microsoft to buy up anything that looked good,
> and to use heavy-handed tactics against its competitors. But that was the
> EFFECT of the PCs success, NOT the cause.

Craig likes to rewrite history in Apple's likeness. That's a given.
Arguing is therefore pointless.

Everything Apple produced before OSX was a total pile, no better than
it's Windows counterpart in terms of stability or quality. What else
could one expect from a cooperative multitasking OS, however?

Hardware was and still is more expensive than a PC clone counterpart.
One of the reasons building hackintoshes is so popular is that you can
spend the same amount of $ as per a Apple store priced desktop Mac for
example, and almost double the capacity in terms of CPU, RAM and
Storage.

Maybe Craig has forgotten about how Apple used to tout their OS by way
of pushing the fact that their non-Intel hardware and CPUs was
'vastly' superior to Intel... oh wait, and then they switched to
Intel.

Additionally, the cherry-picking history revision pushed on this list
leaves out stuff like Fidonet clients, word processing / productivity
ala VisiCalc, Word Perfect, web browsers (when MS released IE people
flocked to it from the bloatware that was Netscape), BBS server
applications, programming languages (Borland tools had great traction
in CS courses (Pascal and C++) and helped push PCs into colleges),
BSD/Linux (which could be installed on a 386), all of which helped
push the PC market forward totally apart from any Microsoft-led
efforts. In short, PCs won because there were more applications
filling voids where Apple had no offering at all, period.

As for User interface design guidelines, Microsft has *always* had
this. Here's the refresher:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511258.aspx . The difference
between Apple and Microsoft is that with a MS OS it is so much easier
to create and skin your own controls than it is with OSX (amusingly,
you could reskin all Apple's widgets up until OSX 10.4). In addition,
most widget vendors offer themes for their widget sets. And that
brings us back to filling the void. Oh, and if you don't like the
application with a funky skin, I guarantee you there are by factor of
multiples alternatives to do the same job, where OSX may have only
one.

Cheers
Kon