[opendtv] (no subject)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:21:44 -0500

I feel the need to point out here, since this seems to be missed so often on
this site, that the issue here is not a lack of interest in the programming of
FOTA TV networks. Nor is it unwillingness to pay the subscription fee that may
result from the retrans concent agreement.

On the contrary, MVPD subscribers are up in arms that they might lose this
programming, and that's what the lawmakers are responding to. People wants the
FOTA channels, and they are willing to pay for them in order to get drop-dead
easy reception, I have to conclude.

So be it. Perhaps the MVPDs should think in terms of not carrying the FOTA
signals, but sending out "antennisti" to erect appropriate antennas for their
interested customers. In the long run, I think OTA may be better for it. Not to
mention that the FCC would have to think twice before yanking away any of the
spectrum.

Bert

---------------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/104104

Retransmission Letters Fly on Capitol Hill
07.28.2010.

WASHINGTON
Retransmission is becoming a popular topic of correspondence on Capitol Hill.
Lawmakers are circulating letters among colleagues and firing them off to the
FCC. They are asking the agency to open an inquiry into the rules governing
satellite and cable carriage ob broadcast signals.

Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, (D-N.Y.) joined her colleagues Reps. Steve Israel
(D-N.Y.) and Peter King, (R-N.Y.) in circulating a letter in the House calling
for retrans reform. Maloney also implored FCC chief Julius Genachowski to do
likewise in a July 24 letter.

"I am writing on behalf of the millions of New Yorkers who have been and may be
negatively affected by retransmission consent disputes between local broadcast
stations and multichannel video programming distributors," she wrote.
"Specifically, cable operators and broadcasters in New York are engaged in
complex negotiations to renew existing retransmission consent agreements, some
of which are scheduled to expire this summer."

Said pending expiration is between Time Warner Cable and Disney. The
retransmission contract between the two ends Sept. 2.

"If these agreements are not renewed, important programming for many New
Yorkers could be dramatically affected. It is not fair to punish consumers for
the failure of these companies to reach an agreement, which is why I urge you
to take whatever steps are necessary to protect consumers, including my
constituents, from losing any programming as a result of these negotiations,"
Maloney wrote to Genachowski.

"Finally, I also encourage the commission to move as quickly as possible to
update its retransmission consent rules to ensure that consumers will be
protected during future renewal negotiations."

The "Dear Colleague" letter from King and Hill went out as the New York City
Council considered a resolution to ask Congress to intervene in retrans.
Broadcasters in New York and Washington implored the New York contingent to
leave well enough alone. ( See "New York Retrans Fight Goes to D.C.") The
King-Hill missive is reported to have signatures of just 13 of the House's 435
members, according to The Hill.

Reps. Gene Green (D-Texas) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) also circulated a
"Dear Colleague" letter urging restraint, according to John Eggerton at
Multichannel News.

A handful of legislators weighed in on the FCC docket related to a retrans
petition from several multichannel video providers. Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.)
wrote to Genchowski July 19 asking simply for a review, rather than reform.

"To be clear, we are not choosing sides in this matter nor are we advocating a
specific resolution," he said.

The FCC has thus far given no indication it will overhaul retransmission
consent rules.

-- Deborah D. McAdams