[opendtv] Re: IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:34:23 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I am discussing the real issue at play here.

No, you aren't. You're merely using this other opportunity
to repeat what you've said time and time again, without
taking all of the previous discussions into account. It's
always back to ground zero.

> While SBC and the rest of the RBOCS would love to succeed
> in the walled garden arena, they don't have a chance with
> this approach. ...
>
> All it will take is a few major content holders to refuse
> to play ball and they will be shut out.
>
> But they do have a chance to play the ala carte card,

I don't see any difference here. If they can't acquire the
rights to a more traditional cable-like service, what makes
you think they'll be more successful cquiring the rights
for an a la carte service?

*Perhaps* consumers will be more interested with this
different form of walled garden, but the contents rights
holders won't see any major difference, will they?

> and to open their "gardens" to the content providers who
> are being shut out by the existing gatekeepers.

If these more marginal content providers are being kept
out of the other media, because the bean counters don't
think their content will bring in enough revenue, what
makes you think the bean counters in this new TV service
will think otherwise, or will be more magnanimous?

More fundamentally than that, what makes you think that
SBC or any other telco will go to the trouble and expense
of creating acquiring the rights to this content, only to
then open up their walled garden by relying, just as an
example, on something as iffy as Bit Torrent (or some
similar scheme that would circumvent the need to create a
walled garden)? That's just silly.

> As usual, you are hung up on mechanics.

I get hung up on reality, technical feasibility, and on
dismissing meaningless hype.