[opendtv] Re: IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 16:48:49 -0700

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 18:06 -0500, John McClenny wrote:
> Why does anyone think that the IPTV systems will be open systems?  The
> ones I have seen are as locked down as possible, with lots of
> proprietary protocols on top on IP.

There's no reason why one can't be open at the application layer and
encrypted with or without persistence at the transport layer. Its the
best of both worlds -- the ability to throw out press releases saying
how 'open standards-based' your system is, while at the same time
locking it to some lower CA/security and transport/delivery layers which
are proprietary. :-)

Cheers
Kon