[opendtv] Re: IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:29:45 -0400

Monty Solomon wrote:

> IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment; SBC calls for
> ``light-touch'' regulatory approach to ensure consumers
> receive new technology quickly
>
> 20 April 2005, 10:02am ET
>
> SAN ANTONIO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 20, 2005--IP-based
> television will change the way consumers watch TV while
> opening a new competitive choice for millions, said Lea
> Ann Champion, senior executive vice president of IP
> Operations and Services for SBC Communications Inc.
>
> Champion demonstrated the capabilities of IP-based video
> or IPTV for lawmakers and urged them to avoid imposing
> incumbent obligations ...
>
> =
http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=3D200504201402_BWR__BW5=
581

It's certainly not surprising that the telcos would prefer
not to have to abide by the same rules as incumbent TV
providers. Precisely what the cable companies ask when
they want the privilege of offering VoIP telepohony
services without having to follow the stringent and
expensive rules binding the telcos. Turn around is fair
play!

However, the above rather hyped up article does bring to
mind this interesting, right-on-the-money column by Loring
Wirbel, on precisely the same topic. And more, it also
more broadly applies to the subject of one of those
endless debates on this august list. What it takes to
establish a viable digital TV standard. In short:

> To rework an old Ipsilon Networks saying, however, IP
> may be necessary, but it is scarcely sufficient.

And:

> It seemed as though Harris Corp. and Microsoft Corp.
> were the only ones that understood that message at NAB.

------------------------------------
Do you speak IP? Well, what about XML?

Loring Wirbel
(04/25/2005 9:00 AM EDT)

Carriers of every stripe have borrowed baseball terms for
the past year or so, babbling about "triple plays" and
"home runs," assuming that expertise in data and
voice-over-Internet Protocol delivery naturally makes
them all instant experts in streaming-video delivery over
IP.

The universal love of video in evidence at the National
Association of Broadcasters show last week made us long
for a time, 10 years ago, when broadband trials in
Orlando, Fla., were about to change our lives. But the
methods used in that era to carry digital content in
managed streams have shifted. Instead of asynchronous
transfer mode, time slotting and proprietary transcoding,
the protocol message most prevalent at NAB was, "Do you
speak IP?"

In fact, IPTV has its own conference apart from NAB
these days: IPTV 2005, which begins tomorrow in San Jose,
Calif. To rework an old Ipsilon Networks saying, however,
IP may be necessary, but it is scarcely sufficient.

To paste disparate TV content together in a unified
environment, you need more than IP; you need true Web
services [paraphrased: you need to define up through
Layer 7 of the OSI model]. It seemed as though Harris
Corp. and Microsoft Corp. were the only ones that
understood that message at NAB. Harris devised an
XML-based content-management solution, while at
Microsoft, the big story was not Media Player or MSTV,
but how broadcasters could adopt the mobile apps'
Connected Services Framework for content editing and
management.

Far too few industry traditionalists grasp the
implications of IP. Meanwhile, developers argue that
media barons must understand seven layers of protocols
and then some.

But converged digital content means a converged
development environment. And if the lingua franca
stops at IP, we'll be relegating one class of designers
to an Internet Protocol ghetto while nonpacketized
developers, in both fixed and mobile broadcast
development, continue their own path to triple plays
and home runs.

By Loring Wirbel, Communications editorial director for
EE Times and its network publications

All material on this site Copyright 2005 CMP Media LLC.