[opendtv] Re: IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:07:36 -0400

>Craig, Craig. You're jumping to another discussion again.

Bert, Bert, Bert.

I am discussing the real issue at play here.

While SBC and the rest of the RBOCS would love to succeed in the
walled garden arena, they don't have a chance with this approach.
They are too late into the game and have very little to offer that
would cause a significant number of consumers to switch from cable or
DBS. All it will take is a few major content holders to refuse to
play ball and they will be shut out.

But they do have a chance to play the ala carte card, and to open
their "gardens" to the content providers who are being shut out by
the existing gatekeepers. In time, this could be sufficient to cause
a seachange in the way consumer buy content. We shall see.

>Let me quote you the pertinent part of that article:

As usual, you are hung up on mechanics. This discussion has already
significantly expanded beyond the article that started the thread,
and I am not the only one to open up the discussion.

If you can't keep up, try sending your comments to yourself instead
of the list.