[opendtv] Re: Hollywood may demand DRM for larger harddrives

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:33:25 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Yes.  Screeners are some kind of a crime against video
> nature. (not a joke)
>
> I can't think of much else that can do more to damage
> the economic value of movie making while at the same
> time giving very little benefit to the public at large.

Hmmm, Tom. I'm not sure, but you seem to be suggesting
that more technically advanced pirated copies are less
objectionable, because at least they look good? My
conclusion would instead be that the higher quality
pirated copy would do even more to damage the economic
value, no?

If I understand what you're saying, you fully intended
to go see the theater release after viewing this screen
copy, and in fact you did. Whereas with a higher quality
pirated copy, the theater ticket would have been out of
the question from the git-go?

But from Hollywood's point of view, the screen copy
didn't hurt them at all. You still bought the theater
ticket, right? It only spoiled your fun, not their
revenues. What bothers the Hollyowood types most is
pirated HD versions, which should make screen copies
the lowest priority in their hit list.