[opendtv] Re: Hollywood may demand DRM for larger harddrives

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:55:44 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
> so, you know about hell, too?

A little bit.  But only in the visions of the older Disney/Hollings
proposals where all computers would be locked such that they could not
play any unprotected content.  This is still very unlikely to come about
  since the cost to competitive American computing would be immense and
too many folks would squeal vigorously.

> They may not demand, but they can determine the conditions for their content
> to be stored, once it's in DRM form.  A harddrive lacking a certain key
> could be easily prevented from storing content.  Many companies have been
> working on this technology since the middle of the previous decade.  Much
> hype, too.  It's turned out to be a MS DRM world.
>
> And, Tom, you must have missed several recent announcements from MS and
> Hollywierd.  Work continues, and "Longhorn" will be called "Vista."  What do
> you think their talking about viewing?

The Trusted Computing platforms, or whatever they will be called next,
will still probably allowed unprotected media to play.  And if the
burden to play protected media is too large then people will probably
avoid it.  And frankly, if only certain sub-systems and media are
protected then I could probably live with that.  But I don't expect
Hollywood to accept reasonable compromises yet.  For instance, my
experiences trying to get fully licensed phone-home MS-DRM were
completely unworkable with the couple of discs I bought.

Meanwhile, there is a hidden assumption that nobody would have any media
to play if Hollywood was not satisfied.  I expect the amateur and
independent movie makers and the pirates all will continue to supply
whatever the big Hollywood concerns withhold.

- Tom