[opendtv] Re: Hollywood may demand DRM for larger harddrives

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:30:14 -0400

Silvio Macedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Without going into the details of the ongoing mail exchange, I would
> point out that nothing can be worse than XVid/DivX screeners. Yes -
> people do actually go into a theatre and tape the movie on a camera -
> and this  sort of, kind of, "movies" get distributed and very much
> seen by "that" most profitable segment of man-25-to-35 year old.

Yes.  Screeners are some kind of a crime against video nature. (not a joke)

I can't think of much else that can do more to damage the economic value
of movie making while at the same time giving very little benefit to the
public at large.

I downloaded a screener of a recent blockbuster and totally ruined my
enjoyment of something that I had been looking forward to and that had
taken a lot of effort creative effort to make.

It would be nice if the Hollywood PR Flacs invented a new word for these
screener distributors (something better/worse than pirate) and convinced
us all to separately censor them.  This should be a totally separate
campaign than the usual tirades against file swappers of most other types.

If done right this one might even gain popular support, and somewhat
succeed, even among "pirates".

- Tom  (again, not joking here)