[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:00:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > The old laserdisk standard was improved with digital
> > sound, and was quite good. But I doubt anyone is
> > sorry the DVD and MPEG-based TV in general were
> > developed.
>
> So from this perspective Bert, I take it you would
> consider it to be a mistake for the CE industry to
> introduce a non-backward compatible HD-DVD format in
> the next few years?
>
> By this I mean any new format for which the discs
> cannot be played on an existing DVD player...

From what I had said above, I would conclude that
ultimately an HD-DVD format is *mandatory*. You can
only go so far with de-interlacing DVDs and
upconverting them for 720 or 1080 line HD displays.

The question of how best to upgrade is orthogonal.
Should stores be required to double-stock their items,
or should HD-DVDs also work in DVD players?

Last I heard, DVD-As are supposed to be playable also
on regular CD players, for exactly this reason. I
don't know if this has actually happened, but that
was the plan.

It's another matter whether DVD-A or SACD will succeed.
I don't know that the improvement is obvious enough to
the masses. And this is because CD playback has been
improved quite a lot just by tweaking the players,
without having to change the standard itself. That's
always the preferable route, as long as it's viable.
From an engineering perspective, that is.