[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:14:35 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Most important to this discussion, however, was
> the FACT, documented by yourself and Dale, that
> broadcasters WERE NOT considering the delivery
> of HDTV to the viewer, at the time we are talking
> about.

Whoa. I don't think I was saying that. I only
reported that the transmission of HDTV to homes,
up until 1986 at least, was expected to be done
as something separate from normal TV. And was
expected to be via satellite. This wasn't a
replacement for NTSC yet.

After that, until 1991, I saw a number of proposals
for giving a second channel to TV stations for
the purpose of transmitting HD supplemental data,
to work in concert with the NTSC-compatible primary
channel. (To me, still too kludgey.)

I can grant you that perhaps at this point,
broadcasters might have latched onto that scheme
for the purposes you say. But prior to that, HD was
an improvement of a TV system that was outdated,
and broadcasters to my knowledge didn't particularly
want it. But my perspective was the system, not
the broadcaster economics or political twists.