[opendtv] Re: HDTV-Brochure_2005final

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:49:44 -0500

I know that there were announcements of an HD-DVD where the red laser of an
SD-DVD went to one layer, and the blue laser of an HD-DVD went to another,
but I would think that the CE industry has more incentive to release HD-DVDs
that are not backwards compatible, to provide incentive for people to run
out and buy a new HD-DVD player.  Why waste bits storing two versions of a
movie that could be better used in maximizing the HD quality.  Is should be
a given that HD-DVDs will play current SD-DVDs and upconvert if necessary,
so one's existing library is not obsoleted.

The entertainment industry already release movies on DVD and VHS, so I don't
see a problem releasing a DVD and an HD-DVD version of a new movie.