[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 15:19:25 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> I agree we need mobility. And it's coming through WiFi, 3G, 4G etc?
>>
>> Yes, that's why I too don't see this as a reason to go to some new
>> OTA standard, for mobility or anything else, really. If the congloms
>> OR the local broadcasters want their own content to be available
>> mobile, they can already achieve that today.
>
> Not really. The current mobile standard is a non starter.

See your comment on top? That's what I was answering to. There is no need for a
new or different mobile RF TV standard, BECAUSE the congloms and the
broadcasters can TODAY use 3G or 4G cellular to make their content available,
if they choose to. Like Vcast.

And:

If broadcasters get together to develop their own cellular infrastructure,
independent of the wireless ISPs, then will there be any reason for the cell
phone manufacturers to build that new TV receiver into their devices? Probably
not, if they don't get kickbacks. Much like ATSC M/H. Show me the money. That's
what it's all about here, where cell phones are tied to a service provider only.

> The real issue was and still is that they were designing a WIRELESS
> SERVICE, not a replacement for a service to fixed antennas - the
> latter comes for free when the conditions are met to serve low
> complexity devices that move. This was WELL KNOWN at the time - I
> know because I helped educate ACATS, the ATSC and the FCC about the
> opportunity.

Perhaps, although then, and now, you don't get the cost and complexity
differences involved. The wireless infrastructure you want for TV would
eliminate FOTA TV entirely, simply replacing it with another MVPD. Or at the
very least, reduce FOTA to a super bare minimum of program streams, just for
charity cases.

> Somehow Bert concludes that Apple is doing something wrong by not
> supporting Flash, AND doing something wrong by participating in the
> development and supporting HTML5.
>
> Go figure.

That's because you can't get past the Apple propaganda. Claiming that you're
supporting the development of a "new standard" makes you above reproach, on the
part of the Faithful Gathered. The truth is, you're eliminating existing
de-facto standards from your devices in order to force users onto your own
distribution infrastructure. And as soon as that new standard becomes fairly
ubiquitous, assuming it does, you'll simply repeat the charade.