[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 19:17:56 -0500

Ron Economos wrote:

> LTE can have channels as narrow as 1.4 MHz (2.8 MHz duplex).
> Many of the smaller players and AT+T in cities where they
> don't have both B and lower C block spectrum are using
> 5 MHz (10 MHz duplex) channels.

... and getting less useful b/s than we get now with 8T-VSB.

I did cover that, though, further down in the post.

If you're going to create a 2-way infrastructure, even with these 5 MHz LTE
channels, it's still not going to work with multiple broadcasters as they
operate now. You still have to set up a cellular system, i.e. multiple
frequency bands required to blanket the area, and you will get no more out of
it than the first versions of 3G cell nets. Which was, 2 Mb/s theoretical max
for stationary users, and 384 Kb/s realistic, for mobile users.

A practical LTE deployment, as far as I can tell, and especially so if you're
talking 4G bit rates and channel widths, means very few "broadcasters" in a
market area doing the actual RF transmission bit.