[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 23:34:27 -0400

At 1:47 PM -0400 5/1/12, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
I agree we need mobility. And it's coming through WiFi, 3G, 4G etc?

FCC is very slow. Last time we got basic structure of digital standard ready in 1987. The FCC formalized that in 1997 and official switch was in 2007? The DVD done privately took only 2 years. On the Internet new format proliferation maybe faster. On the other had it seems Internet need no standardization because according to Bert all it this happens de-facto with big hungry wolf (Apple) eats everybody else. What do you think?

The current U.S. digital television standard was developed as a block and delay tactic to protect broadcast spectrum. Broadcasters willingly abdicated responsibility to a more forward thinking standard and allowed broadcast and consumer electronics manufacturers to define another proprietary, closed system to sell new equipment and consumer TVs. The FCC and Congress were only too happy to play along with a drawn out transition schedule and receiver mandate.

Anyone care to cite another example of a government mandate of both a standard and requirement for its implementation in an electronics product used by most Americans?