[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:37:27 -0500

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> On the other had it seems Internet need no standardization because
> according to Bert all it this happens de-facto with big hungry wolf
> (Apple) eats everybody else. What do you think?

As I said, Apple is just a perfect example, but they aren't the only ones going
this route. Didn't we see a news piece recently, that vendors of "connected
TVs" are thinking along the same lines? They mentioned, IIRC, Samsung as one of
them. Set up web sites, just like Apple does, for Samsung TV subscribers, for
example.

The nice thing about OTA TV in the past was that it HAD to be an open system.
There wasn't enough spectrum to set up individual little fiefdoms. With
Internet TV, potentially anyway, this can change, JUST AS it changed when MVPDs
came on the scene.

Mark (Aitken), I agree that if you got to something like LTE, with 80 or 100
MHz wide RF channels, you gain some efficiency because you can avoid the guard
bands. But of course, that assumes that the 80 or 100 MHz channel is
contiguous, which in many cases it will not be. LTE, just like cdma2000, is
capable of aggregating its channels from frequency slices as thin as 1.25 MHz,
the original narrow band CDMA 2G channels.

Anyway, I'd be curious in knowing your views of the future role of your local
broadcasters, if this LTE spectrum utility comes to pass.