[opendtv] Re: GM exec: Time to reinvent the automobile

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:59:13 +1200

Hi Bert,

I feel the recycling of the oxide is a matter of pumping the sludge back
into a tanker - the same tanker that transports the aluminium. On the way
back from the most distant station it then refills with the oxide. The
supply stations recharge your vehicle with aluminium and simultaneously pump
out the sludge to a holding tank. At the moment petrol tankers have to
return to the filling point empty, which is inefficient transportation.

I agree that pellets have merit and could be efficiently loaded into a
tanker. Pellets may or may not be as easy to control regarding rate and
extent of hydrogen release. With a fuel rod it can be quickly removed from
the reaction chamber in a similar way that nuclear fuel rods can be
extracted from the reactor. In this way there is a limit on the level of
hydrogen residual which makes this process extremely safe - far more so in
fact than with a petrol powered vehicle.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Barry

On 6/8/07, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Barry Wilkins wrote:

>Regarding the carnot efficiency, there is nothing to stop
>external combustion engines running at high carnot efficiency
>compared to internal combustion engines. The steam pressure
>and temperature simply have to be high and the exhaust at
>relatively low temperature. This requires efficient flash boilers
>and  heat exchangers.

And superheaters and preheaters that use exhaust heat. You're probably
right. Makes for very cumbersome machines, though, and I believe the high
efficiency achieved is only at certain ideal power settings.

(I never much enjoyed thermo.)

Still, you have to get those aluminum rods back to the deoxydation plant.
would have thought pellets would be easier to shoot through a pipe, back
and
forth to the plant and to the cars.