[opendtv] Re: GM exec: Time to reinvent the automobile

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:45:52 -0400

I sometimes think the ONLY alternative fuel vehicles that have a chance in this country are the various gas hybrids, simply because there is too much of an established infrastructure in making and repairing gasoline engines.

I dislike gas hybrids for the same reason since I don't just want better CO2 efficiency but also would like to avoid the expense and repair costs of all the complex decaying moving parts as much as possible.

It is really frustrating that we can't seem to efficiently build better batteries.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
The only compressed air engine that stands a chance of seeing the light of day in commercial applications is the compressed air hybrid.

The engine compressed air during "braking" which is stored in a tank to be used for the next acceleration. This has the greatest potential with large stop and go vehicles such as busses and garbage trucks, which make many stops, and require very high energy density storage from the hybrid.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx