[opendtv] Re: GM exec: Time to reinvent the automobile

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:01:37 +1200

I recently watched a very dubious program on tv regarding pneumatically
powered vehicles and I was not impressed. The basic facts suggest you simply
cannot pack enough energy into compressed air in a small safe volume to do
sufficient work with it. The technology weakness is always telling if they
progress from all out air technology to hybrid vehicles as they realize
there is not sufficient energy density. They would not do, for instance,
going up and down the hills of Wellington City NZ all day long as for
instance a taxi is required to do.

Furthermore , it would appear that people loose track of the origination of
the energy source and the losses involved in the storage process. Much heat
is generated in the compression of air and this is simply waste energy that
cannot be extracted by the vehicle. A vehicle that needs to operate for 4
hours per day at an average 20KW work load requires double this energy from
the electricity supply to compress the air in the first place. As a 50KW 3
phase induction motor would be required to operate over at least 4 hours to
compress this air I do not believe it is a very practical solution in
general.

On 6/8/07, Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are so many possible solutions that need investigating. What I
like about the compressed air solution is its simplicity both in
operation and in refueling. All you need for refueling is an
electrical outlet and some time or less time, a minute or so, and
already compressed air at an air station. No pollution at the air
station, no pollution in distribution and none with the vehicle.
Everything polluting is concentrated in the electrical grid which can
be any of a hundred different power sources all contained and
distributed.

Bob Miller

On 6/7/07, Barry Wilkins <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have had a long interest in the concept of a vehicle that operates
(gets
> its energy from) the oxidation of aluminium. I imagine you all know that
> aluminium is an extremely reactive element and that it is only because
an
> instantaneous very thin impervious layer of oxide film forms on exposed
> metal that saves it from totally combusting in the presence of oxygen in
> air. As Aluminium has a similar energy to weight ratio as petrol when
> oxidized (burnt) it would appear to be a very stable and practical
> alternative to fossil fuel.
>
> Of course the original energy is derived from the electrolysis of
aluminium
> oxide to the metal and this process has its losses and requires
electrical
> energy which may perhaps be derived from an original fossil source.
>
> In my country's situation though, New Zealand's only aluminuim smelter
is
> operated from hydro power and so is eco friendly. Furthermore, the
> conversion of high quality aluminium oxide (the result of the oxidation
in
> powering the vehicle) back to aluminium is far more efficient than that
> process where the raw material is bauxite, which requires pre-refining.
Note
> [...]
>
> Regards
> Barry Wilkins
>

> On 6/7/07, Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Air power is another solution. It could rely solely on the electric
> > grid where we can more efficiently control emissions and work toward
> > centralized power sources that are renewable.
> >
> > http://www.theaircar.com/
> >
> > Ironically air conditioning is no problem but heating is.
> >
> > Bob Miller
> >
> > On 6/6/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > > When I hear "reinvent" or "take to the next level," my BS alarm goes
> > > off.
> > >
> > > I've always been a fan of fuel cell cars, because they take the
battery
> > > out of the electric car, and it's the battery that kills electric
cars.
> > > But betting on fuel cells hardly "take[s] the automobile totally out
of
> > > the environmental debate."
> > >
> > > Fuel cells require H2. And H2 is either extracted from water with
> > > electrolysis, or it could be extracted from hydrocarbon molecules.
> > > Either process needs energy. Extracting and transporting H2 will
somehow
> > > or other have an impact on greenhouse gas emissions, or wildlife, or
> > > nuclear waste, or the beauty of the landscape, or most likely all of
the
> > > above. And they all fall under "the environment."
> > >
> > > The EV-1 was always a non-starter. It was PR, best used by Hollywood
> > > actors in search of virtue. And the so-called "plug-in hybrids" are
no
> > > better. They simply place a greater load on the power grid than
hybrids
> > > do, while at the same time shortening battery life compared with
> > > hybrids, by drawing the charge way down every time you leave the
> > > driveway.
> > >
> > > At best, all of these supposed solutions are just minor tweaks to
the
> > > bigger environmental picture. Hardly solutions. Some probabably
create a
> > > worse mess than we have now. Cold fusion might be a solution.
> > >
> > > Bert

> > > GM exec: Time to reinvent the automobile
> > >
> > > Brian Fuller
> > > (06/05/2007 10:51 AM EDT)
> > >
> > > SAN DIEGO - The man who runs R&D for General Motors said it's time
> > > reinvent the product that's made his company what it is today: the
> > > automobile.
> > >
> > > "We want to take the automobile totally out of the environmental
> > > debate," Larry Burns, vice president of research and development and
> > > strategic initiatives, said Monday (June 4). He delivered the first
> > > keynote at this week's 44th annual Design Automation Conference
here.

> > > "We literally have an opportunity to reinvent the automobile around
> > > these exciting technologies." Burns spoke a few feet from a
Chevrolet
> > > Sequel vehicle-one of two GM has manufactured-that runs entirely on
> > > hydrogen fuel cell technology. GM officials recently drove it 300
miles
> > > on a single fuel cell charge emitting only water vapor.
> > >
> > > The next step for the technology is to move it into the Chevrolet
> > > Equinox, where about more than 100 fuel-cell-only models will be
> > > marketed in Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. initially.
> > >
> > > For some, GM's fuel-cell move is a bet-the-farm strategy that
insiders
> > > hope doesn't end up like the abortive EV-1 all-electric project that
GM
> > > killed after making and leasing about 800 vehicles.
> > >
> > > "It's one basket we've put eggs into, but actually our strategy is
> > > displace petroleum," Burns said in an interview before the keynote.
He
> > > pointed to continuing work on all-electric vehicles (the Chevrolet
Volt)
> > > and other initiatives.
> > >
> > > Burns also sketched out an automotive future in which cars begin to
> > > communicate with each other in vehicle to vehicle networks to
improve
> > > safety and the driving experience.
> > >
> > > "Beyond that it sets up a future in which vehicles can drive
> > > themselves," he said.
> > >
> > > Because GM engineers take a top-down view on design and must blend
> > > mechanical and electrical systems at a high level of abstraction,
Burns