[opendtv] Re: Fresh idea from a broadcaster

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:57:41 -0700

"I was impressed to see something new (to me) from our Seattle station
KOMO that they are calling "hyper-local"."-Kilroy Hughes

Many of the J-schools have been experimenting with this along with "civic
journalism".  The Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies
does this with the local community around the campus of UNLV:

http://www.east-paradise.com/

But with students doing the stories, the updates aren't nearly as timely
as if run by full-time professionals.

We also incorporate "civic-journalism" into the website.  That is, we have
members of the East-Paradise community also produce stories for their
community.  We actually provide equipment for them to produce and uplink
stories and media.  We plan to have portals in the community and in a
public place in our building where members of the community can produce
media and stories for this website.

The next question is who and how many are consuming this form of media and
can there be a business model for it.  I cannot speak to that except to
say that our faculty are working on it.

Dan