[opendtv] Re: Fresh idea from a broadcaster

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:53:32 +0000

Shortly after posting, I read a review of a half dozen "hyperlocal" sites, some
associated with newspapers with some real news, others more like search engines
formatting anything on the internet at zip code or city block level (including
crime reports, building permits, zoning, home sales and prices, phone numbers,
names, all kinds of formerly "private" stuff you probably don't know and may
not want to know about your neighbors, and vice versa), and some included
"tweets" and other low threshold user generated excreta in the newly discovered
technology of chat and instant messaging (according to news reports and
teenagers anyway).

It's interesting to see the different spans of the hyperlocal continuum these
businesses are trying to mine.  From my perspective,  anchoring around real
news from a TV or newspaper organization, plus community participation, is the
most useful combo.  If I want random personal opinions I can find them on
opendtv or a million other points of aggregation on the Internet.

Kilroy Hughes