[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:19:43 -0500

On 11/16/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

>> The percentage of OTA TV users in the US is almost
>> positively higher than that of, for example, Germany.

> Households in Germany are at 38 million The penetration
> is 13.2%. We are only talking of OTA digital here.

I specifically said OTA users, analog and digital. In the US, it is
almost certainly higher than in Germany. Numbers greater than 30 percent
as a total, and 15 percent as households depending solely on OTA TV.
That beats the 9 (prior to transition) or 13 percent numbers bandied
about for Germany. Meaning, the potential for DTT users in the US,
should analog be summarily shut off as it was in Germany, is certainly
there.

> IBOC is COFDM. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Let me see if I follow your logic. IBOC sales, and IBOC equipment
availability, were miserable for the past couple of years, when
broadcasters have been transmitting IBOC. According to the Sangean
marketing rep, demand spiked only within the past 2 months. That
coincides with the on-air promotion campaign for IBOC.

Exactly. A decent product that works sparks interest in retailers and
broadcasters, it gets promoted and the public buys in, tries it, it
works, word of mouth is good and it takes off. Why they didn't promote
it for the last two years I don't know but it was not because it was
COFDM based.

All involved could promote the hell out of 8-VSB and all that would
happen is that there would be more open box specials.

And still you find it necessary to believe COFDM is the reason?
Astounding.

Its not THE reason it is a key reason that IBOC is now taking off. If
your race car is missing a wheel it isn't going to win the race. 8-VSB
is missing a couple of wheels and it isn't going to win the race.

If IBOC becomes a great product it is because all the parts work not
because of COFDM. With OTA broadcasting in the US a number of parts
are missing. One is a decent modulation. IMO if we had a decent
modulation, a better codec would also help, then the other MISSING
pieces would quickly fall into place. Programming, a business plan and
then the other players would get on board and the promoting would
begin.

In that scenario cable and satellite become the endangered species.

Bob Miller

> Cable and satellite won't let them [promote DTT]???? BS!!

A broadcaster stated that on this list. I tend to believe him. Sorry.