[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:16:34 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>> The percentage of OTA TV users in the US is almost
>> positively higher than that of, for example, Germany.

> Households in Germany are at 38 million The penetration
> is 13.2%. We are only talking of OTA digital here.

I specifically said OTA users, analog and digital. In the US, it is
almost certainly higher than in Germany. Numbers greater than 30 percent
as a total, and 15 percent as households depending solely on OTA TV.
That beats the 9 (prior to transition) or 13 percent numbers bandied
about for Germany. Meaning, the potential for DTT users in the US,
should analog be summarily shut off as it was in Germany, is certainly
there.

> IBOC is COFDM. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Let me see if I follow your logic. IBOC sales, and IBOC equipment
availability, were miserable for the past couple of years, when
broadcasters have been transmitting IBOC. According to the Sangean
marketing rep, demand spiked only within the past 2 months. That
coincides with the on-air promotion campaign for IBOC.

And still you find it necessary to believe COFDM is the reason?
Astounding.

> Cable and satellite won't let them [promote DTT]???? BS!!

A broadcaster stated that on this list. I tend to believe him. Sorry.