[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:05:00 -0500

On 11/15/06, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > I suppose that if you keep telling yourself that the LG 5th gen
 > prototype was "cold fusion," you can continue to believe this fairy
 > tale. For the rest of us, me anyway, this excuse of yours sounds just
 > like that: an excuse. If broadcasters believe it, failure is sure to
 > follow. The proverbial self-fulfilling prophecy.

For at least, a "cold fusion" experiment personifies one with dramatic
results that cannot be generally reproduce by others.  We can speculate
endlessly on the reasons but that one special box at Mark Schubin's
seems to have that quality.

 > Remember how sure everyone was that integrated ATSC sets would cost
 > "hundreds" more than monitors? They don't, at least not in the sets that
 > have to comply with the mandate. Follow the price curve as you go from
 > small monitor LCDs to large integrated sets and tell me where this big
 > price spike caused by the ATSC receivers is visible. I wouldn't continue
 > to insist on old theories that don't hold up.

I'll grant you the lower price difference but suggest that is maybe
enabled by leaving out the higher priced "cold fusion" part.

In any event, I think small integrated receiver LCD's are now probably
available in a size that could be easily lugged into Mark's bedroom.  Do
any have the LG 5'th gen tuner?  Maybe some New Yorker could purchase
one, try it, and then return it if reception was bad.  ;-)

- Tom

--
Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com

I would have happily lugged an integrated set to Mark's but there
was/is no need to. I got the answer from LG and their partners. They
did not have the 5th gen prototype available in any form nor could
they even tell me or their partners how to go about rigging up a match
for the 5th gen prototype. It obviously was not just a matter of
putting a 5th gen chip in the last generation receiver which is what
the prototype looked like it was at a glance.

And while that prototype got me excited and worked well and was the
best ever tested in Mark's apartment it was not perfect. Before
visiting Mark's we were defeating it quite easily in a much more
benign environment. It was no match for any COFDM receiver, not even
close.

LG integrated sets do not have the 5th gen prototype technology in them IMO.

Bob Miller