[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:45:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

In other words, you are willing to let the big five content producers
control everything.

I'm perfectly willing ot have content producers or content non-producers control as many nationwide OTA nets as the spectrum can hold. Note the companies I named as examples: Disney, Sripps Howard, and Sinclair. The only stipulations would be (a) an interest in making their OTA network survive, and (b) retain the local ownership caps the FCC enforces.

On the other hand, I don't at all like to be told that everyone should become completely dependent on one of basically three local cable monopolies.

But yes, Craig, I know what you are proposing, and I have already agreed that it could work. I just don't think it's the only or the best option.

The big five are squeezing out the independent producers, who have little
leverage in terms of carriage. You either accept their terms, or try to sell
direct to the consumer via DVD or Internet download.

But compared to what?

(a) The big five could become more numerous after NTSC shutoff. And (b) the cable option involves only thee choices nationwide, I believe. Right? Comcast, Cox, and Time Warner. So what makes (b) such a wonderful idea for everyone?

The reason you cannot see this is that you cannot let go of the idea that
big high powered sticks ...

But we have been over this in detail many times. We have compared it with the reality of DVB-T SFNs, have determined that big sticks are not the only possibility for ATSC, and have demonstrated without a shadow of a doubt that big sticks are in fact also used by DVB-T, and have shown the the only practical difference is more severe power limitations imposed on European big sticks, due to environmental concerns.

The reality is that Euro nets are just a scaled-down version of what we have here, with translator sites located often as close to 30 miles or less from one another.

Share your latest news with your friends with the Windows Live Spaces friends module. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk