[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:06:49 -0500

On 11/16/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Barry Wilkins wrote:

> If, as you say Bob, "the reality in the US is virtually no
> one is even interested in OTA. Retailers, consumers and
> broadcasters are all showing little to no interest in OTA."
> then what is the point of this discussion? Who IS
> interested?

I wouldn't automatically take the word of the disgruntled as gospel,
however, Barry. The percentage of OTA TV users in the US is almost
positively higher than that of, for example, Germany. And yet "the
disgruntled" will tell you that Germany is a huge success story.
Granted, I'm talking percentage that use analog or digital OTA. Still,
OTA TV has a respectable following in the Colonies.


Germany is not the best COFDM story but compared to the US it is very
successful.
www.dvb.org says...

"DVB-T penetration increases
Recent reports put the number of DVB-T receivers sold in Germany at 5
million up to August 2006. 3.5 million of these were set top boxes and
IDTV's, and the remaining 1.5 million were PC cards, USB sticks,
pocket receivers and in-car receivers.
Source: DVB
Item added: 4th October 2006"

Households in Germany are at 38 million The penetration is 13.2%. We
are only talking of OTA digital here. Do you really think that the US
has a "respectable" OTA DTV following? Do you have numbers I don't
know of? Most of those who have OTA on AVSForum have it because they
have to. Can't get their local stations via satellite and will drop
OTA as soon as they can get them via satellite.

There are a few who cherish OTA because it is free and snub cable and
satellite. They may even be respectable but their numbers sure are
not.

> Of course this is all regrettable from the view of informed
> consumers in many countries because had the USA embraced a
> very attractive technology from a global perspective, it
> would have benefited us all in economies of scale, the USA
> included.

But that's no problem. Economies of scale can be achieved. I showed a
few weeks ago where global DTV sets are already marketed, I think from
the UK, in fact. The differences between these schemes are very small.


Yes global economies of scale can be achieved and will  be without the
US participating or being of any help. If Chinese companies make world
TV sets that include 8-VSB it will be after careful consideration and
to lower inventory cost. 8-VSB may be the only one they leave out IMO.

If they include 8-VSB then modulation after some time becomes
irrelevant. What does it matter what a broadcasters anywhere uses if
any TV set can handle that modulation. US broadcasters could use
DMB-TH just as well as 8-VSB.

The problem here is mostly one of promotion, lack thereof. Look, digital
radio took a long time to take off here. But now, at long last, FOTA
radio broadcasters are promoting IBOC, and are doing an *infinitely*
better job at it than the DTT broadcasters have ever done. For a long
time, the IBOC CE vendors were passively waiting in the sidelines. But
in short order, the effect of the recent promotion is showing.

IBOC is COFDM. Maybe that has something to do with it. Everybody gets
on board if things work. That is my point right? Thanks for making it
for me.

What I quote below is a press release by a vendor of IBOC digital radio.
I fully acknowledge that it's a press release. But can anyone show me a
similar press release from DTT vendors in the US? Promotion does work.
People hear about digital radio, and the broadcasters make the system
desirable to have. It gives more content than analog radio, and can give
satellite radio a run for its money.

The last thing a retailer wants to do in the US is promote something
that comes back and becomes open box specials that gather dust.

In fact, with all their bean-counter jitters, Sangean delayed so long
that they probably missed the holiday season. If you put in an order
today at Amazon, for their new AM/FM tuner, they claim it won't be
shipped until 18 December. Which means unlikely to be delivered before
Christmas. So far, other retailers aren't even giving an estimate.

Radio broadcasters seem capable of promoting their product. TV
broadcasters apparently cannot, because the cable and DBS folk won't let
them. Amazing. I just don't buy that ATSC is the reason.

Given the right modulation there is no conspiracy theory I can think
of that would restrict access to COFDM HDTV receivers of all kinds
being sold in the millions though a thousand online outlets. Cable and
satellite won't let them???? BS!!

Bob Miller

Bert

-------------------------------------------------
2006-11-07 -Sangean America

For several weeks now Sangean has been taking pre-orders in preparation
for the holiday season and has been experiencing a dramatic surge in
sales as a result of peaked interest in the prospects for HD Radio
technology.

Selwyn Winstock, VP of Sales & Marketing says that, "Two months ago if
you had asked us how we felt about HD Radio we would have told you we
were getting scared, but today we can say that we have never seen such
an interest in a product we have released. We are seeing such an
interest that we have had to focus our entire approach to this product
line."

HD Radio is coming, and in a fast way. Sangean is currently in
negotiations to have a retail launch date of Nov. 24th, the infamous
"Black Friday." In the next few weeks before the release Sangean will
announce all the places you can buy these radios at, but for now they
have reached agreements with Amazon.com, Fry's Electronics, J&R Music
World in Manhattan, and Crutchfield. More are on the way and will be
announced as they happen.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at 
FreeLists.org

- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
unsubscribe in the subject line.




----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org
- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
unsubscribe in the subject line.

Other related posts: