[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:24:54 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> We all know how much more difficult it is to receive
> analog UHF compared to VHF

I don't know this, Richard. Especially not true with indoor antenna
reception. Perhaps this was true with antique UHF tuners, but now in
many cases UHF seems easier to receive.

For one thing, UHF is less prone to interference than VHF, by far. Even
high VHF. For another, the shorter wavelength allows easier access
through windows, e.g. if you live in a house with some sort of
conductive siding.

> Considering all the handicaps, I'm surprised ANYONE
> actually relies on DTV reception:

And yet, it works. Your comments are generic enough that they include
the all-UHF UK market, which does quite well in both analog and digital.

I'm surprised that people bitch about their cable prices always going
up, after letting themselves become beholden to a local monopoly.