[opendtv] Re: Free TV URL list

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 02:05:14 -0500

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

Many stations are not available.

Can you be more specific? Which stations don’t work? For instance, on Hulu, abc.com, cbs.com, nbc.com, wwitv.com, there should be very few stations that don't work. Is it perhaps a problem that you're trying to use a crippled device that won’t support Flash? If so, what would anyone expect? Flash is still the preferred streaming protocol, on any portal I use, including YouTube. With few exceptions, like Amazon and Netflix (both use SIlverlight for now), if you have Flash installed the station will prefer Flash, and if you don’t have Flash installed, you may either see some other protocol coming alive, or nothing at all.

I've reported this state of affairs many times.

 I think it's time for a good solid portal offering all the available
 stations.

I'm not sure I see the logic. There isn't a single portal for every bank in the world, or every restaurant, or whatever other industry. Besides which, becoming dependent on a single portal is just asking for trouble. I just installed this fun Sangean WFT-1 Internet/FM Radio tuner in my sound system, for instance. It DEPENDS on the frontier-silicon radio portal. Sure, it's nice to have all the radio stations listed, and searchable by genre or location or what have you. But then again, quite a few won't stream. Some that do just fine on my PC, for instance. A local station WASH-FM, won’t stream. Never mind its HD Radio multicast, which doesn't even show up. Or, RAI radio stations, while they appear, they won't work. These are ALL available on my PC.

It's nice to have an Internet radio tuner that works like a regular tuner, but these unessential middlemen are, as always, a mixed blessing.