[opendtv] Re: Free TV URL list

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 12:43:58 -0500

On Jan 2, 2014, at 7:18 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> In order to scale this up to where everyone is watching HDTV over the
> Internet, ISPs will have to strategically distribute many TV content servers
> throughout their local networks. More so than today. The major portals you
> list are not the answer.

Not true.

The only issues for the ISPs are upgrading their networks to handle the peak
load requirements. Remember, most of the content people will watch will still
be delivered via IP Multicast. The CDNs will handle the increased server loads,
building out more mirror sites.

> This distribution of servers is needed to keep the gozillion separate high
> bandwidth streams from going very far upstream into the ISP networks. Because
> I'm betting that a lot of Internet TV watching will be on demand, meaning
> each household will create its own set of high bandwidth streams.

You are overstating the problem. Yes VOD will grow, but there are many ways to
mitigate the bandwidth crunch. For example, lets assume that you like CSI. You
pay a small fee for the CSI app, and new episodes are downloaded to every
subscriber during off peak hours using IP multicast. The subscriber then
watches when they want to.

You are also forgetting that networks are getting faster. By the time we
actually get to Internet TV, it is likely that an HD movie may be downloaded to
local cache in a burst that takes only seconds or minutes…

We are already reaching the point where there is little real need for better TV
image quality.

> CDNs could take on this expanded role, or someone else could do so, in
> principle at least. And I'm sure the ISPs are also improving the capacity of
> their core networks, to try to keep this distributed server capacity under
> control. So I don't know exactly how all of this will play out.

Well at least we can agree that there is still uncertainty. What is certain,
however, is that the congloms will use their market and political power to keep
control of their business as long as possible.