[opendtv] Re: Free TV URL list

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:55:42 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> That was bad enough. Now, they're trying to make you drink this
>> coolaid:
>>
>> network -> local broadcaster -> MVPD -> ISP -> you.
>
> Whoops. You were on a role up to this point. The ISP has nothing to
> do with this. Do ISPs control financial transactions on the Internet.
> When you buy something from Amazon, do you need approval from your
> ISP?

Well, first off, the ISP could, in principle, attempt to play such games, with
TV content.

All I'm saying is, the local broadcaster fills a legitimate role for OTA
distribution of network TV (and for distribution of their own local content),
just as an ISP fills a legitimate role for delivery of network TV content over
the Internet. All those additional middlemen that get added to this mix, do
not. At least, they don't today. Local broadcasters may possibly have a
legitimate role in Internet TV, depending how Internet TV becomes architected,
as we already discussed (e.g. supporting the mirrored server structure at
competing local ISPs).

It seems that the networks prefer for an ever increasing number of unnecessary
middlemen to be added, with each innovation, which can only DILUTE the TV
network brand identity, as time goes on and innovations are added.

> The MVPDs are the bagmen,

Sorry, but for that to be a good excuse, their cost structure needs to be
totally rethought, when streaming over the Internet. If I use some independent
ISP for broadband, there's no way I would pay MVPD rates on top of that. It's a
ridiculous duplication of costs.

> Yes some Internet content is open and free. But much is not.

> Most books are not free; most music is not free; most movies are
> not free; and most MVPD content is not free.

And when I buy something on the Internet, I use my ISP as the communications
link, and I pay the store for the item. If I buy the item directly from the
manufacturer, there is no other middleman than the ISP. If I buy from a store,
I have a huge selection of stores to buy from. I don't have to make any long
term expensive commitments to just one store, as I would to this unnecessary
MVPD middleman.

The only glimmer of hope I've seen in this regard is that some networks, e.g.
CBS, have begun accepting a number of alternative portals to act as their
"bagmen," rather than just the MVPDs. Still, duplicating at least the FOTA
stream as FOTI seems a FAR better way of cementing the network brand identity
over the Internet, than hiding behind a growing list of superfluous middlemen
*and* being complicit with device manufacturers in crippling their devices!!