[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:25:12 -0500

Not so incredible to me. The broadcast world (in the US anyway) is so locked into 480i being 4:3 only that it is almost impossible to make a 480i 16:9 channel work through the entire broadcast chain and keep track of all the aspect ratio conversions necessary. Yes, there is AFD, but that standard was so late in the game that most legacy material is not flagged at all, and so much gear is still not AFD compliant or will even pass most of the VANC that it often gets lost anyway.

One option we were looking at for our station was to broadcast a second HD program stream as a 480p60 16:9 stream, but finding a 1080i30 to 480p60 downconverter was fruitless. The next best thing was to downconvert to an anamorphic 480i30 16:9 stream, which is what you may be experiencing. The entire broadcast chain would be handled in HD (1080i30) right up to the emission encoder, where it would be converted to 480i30 16:9 (incorrectly but commonly called 'anamorphic.')

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>